Are you interested in yoga, but a little unsure about just what benefits you can achieve from it? Yoga is an ancient art of meditation and relaxation that helps many people achieve their physical, mental and spiritual goals. Yoga offers remarkable results that can make a positive difference in your life.
Adding yoga to your workout regimen can produce amazing benefits in terms of your physical abilities as well as your mental and spiritual balance.
You can expect to experience the following benefits after you’ve been practicing the art for a few months:
1. Increased flexibility. You’ll acquire greater and greater flexibility as you practice. When you first start, much of your yoga classes will be spent stretching. These stretches create limber, flexible muscles and subsequently a more flexible individual.
2. Greater strength. Apart from doing stretching routines, you’ll also be training your body to create poses that require immense physical strength. While you may not feel much pull when doing the poses, you’ll realize after some time how much stronger you’ve become.
3. Improved posture. All of the stretching and posing done during yoga classes will eventually lead to excellent posture! Those incorrect postures you were previously comfortable with will suddenly become extremely uncomfortable.
• You’ll stop slouching on the couch when watching TV. • You’ll stand upright when in line as opposed to leaning on something for support. • You’ll likely get rid of any back pains you might have had prior to starting yoga.
4. Better breathing capacity. Yoga not only focuses on physical strength and flexibility, but it also focuses on increasing lung capacity. Many of the yoga poses and stretches are accompanied by specific breathing styles, so you’ll notice over time that your lung capacity will allow you to endure physical challenges for longer periods.
• You’ll be able to do more laps in the swimming pool. • You’ll be able to move from running a 1/2-mile race to running a 1-mile race. • You’ll be able to keep up with your friends when you go on group hikes.
5. Less stress. Yoga does a great job of relieving stress. The breathing techniques, meditation, and muscle stretches and poses instantly relax the mind and muscles.
• Both physical and mental stresses are reduced, thus allowing you to more easily avoid the plethora of stress-related diseases and achieve stronger overall health.
Your first step to grabbing these benefits for yourself is as easy as signing up for classes. Starting with a beginners’ level class will enable you to develop an understanding of the art as well as the poses and stretches. If there are no classes in your area, consider DVDs or online instruction.
Overall, as a practitioner of yoga, you’ll feel more at peace. After each session, you’ll feel refreshed, renewed, and ready to take on whatever challenges life throws in your direction. Not only does yoga build a solid physique, but it also builds a resilient mind and prepares you to face just about anything.